Chris J. Tuell, EdD, LPCC-S, LICDC-CS
Clinical Director of Addiction Services
Lindner Center of HOPE
As Clinical Director of Addiction Services, Dr. Tuell provides mental health and addiction psychotherapy services to a wide variety of treatment populations. He is a key contributor to the development and implementation of the Integrated Co-occurring Disorder Treatment Program for residential and outpatient services at Lindner Center of HOPE.
Dr. Tuell is a clinical psychotherapist and a chemical and behavioral addiction specialist. Dr. Tuell has over 37 years of experience in the field of mental health and addictions. Prior to joining Lindner Center of HOPE, Dr. Tuell served as Center Director and Director of Employee Assistance Programs for Family Service of the Cincinnati Area, where he provided supervision of all administrative and clinical components of a mental health/substance abuse counseling center. Dr. Tuell has served as Clinical Director of the Warren County Juvenile Justice Center and as a psychotherapist for Community Mental Health Centers of Warren County in Lebanon, Ohio and Mental Health Services West in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Dr. Tuell earned his Doctorate degree from the University of Cincinnati, and is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, and a Licensed Independent Chemical Dependency Counselor in the State of Ohio. He has completed advance training in the treatment of sexual addiction, problem gambling, and compulsive internet behaviors. In addition, Dr. Tuell is certified in clinical hypnosis from the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis as well as being certified in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) by EMDRIA. Dr. Tuell is also a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional by IATP.
Dr. Tuell has presented on various topics of addiction at national and state conferences and has given numerous academic presentations as guest lecturer for several universities and organizations. Dr. Tuell has been interviewed by national media outlets on the topic of addiction. Dr. Tuell has also served as federal grant reviewer for the Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) where he has reviewed federal grants reflecting the emerging trends within the fields of mental health and addictions.
Dr. Tuell is a member of the American Counseling Association, Ohio Counseling Association, American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, and EMDRIA. In 2020, Dr. Tuell was recognized as Cincy Magazine’s Top Doc in the field of Addiction – Psychiatry. In 2019, Dr. Tuell was the recipient of Health Care Heroes Provider Award by the Cincinnati Business Courier. Dr. Tuell has also been a past recipient of Lindner Center of HOPE, Employee of the Year.
Areas of Specialty and Interest:
- Behavioral Addictions
- Chemical Addictions
- Co-occurring Disorders
- Conduct Disorder/Oppositional Defiant Disorders
- Anti-Social Personality Disorders
- Clinical Hypnosis
- 1982 B.A. Psychology, Marian College, Indianapolis, IN
- 1983 Master of Arts, Rehabilitation Counseling, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- 2003 Doctor of Education, Counselor Education, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Internship and Residencies:
- 1979-1982 Central State Psychiatric Hospital, Indianapolis, IN
- 1982 Marion County Prosecutor’s Office, Indianapolis, IN
- 1982 University of Cincinnati Rehabilitation Center, Cincinnati, OH
- 1983 Mental Health Services West, Cincinnati, OH
- 1999 Schwab Middle School, Cincinnati, Ohio (under the supervision of Dr. William Glasser.)
- 2009 Licensed Independent Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) in the State of Ohio
- 2009 LCDC-III Ohio license #91026
- 1994 LPCC-S Ohio license # E2161
- 1992 LPC Ohio License #C4714