Brett A, Dowdy, PsyD
Chief of Psychological Services and Chief Patient Experience Officer
Lindner Center of HOPE
Dr. Dowdy is Lindner Center of HOPE’s Chief of Psychological Services and Chief Patient Experience Officer. He directs the psychologists, neuropsychologists, and therapists who provide services throughout the Center. Dr. Dowdy provides leadership of the Center’s outpatient Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy (RO DBT) programs. He also provides executive leadership for the Center’s residential services. In addition, Dr. Dowdy is leading a hospital-wide initiative to improve the patient experience throughout all levels of the hospital.
Dr. Dowdy is an expert in motivational interviewing and works with adults and adolescents who struggle to maintain lasting changes. He specializes in helping those who struggle to launch from home, as well as helping their families navigate the complexities of mental health and substance use disorders. Dr. Dowdy is a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT). He provides Motivational Interviewing training throughout the Midwest focused on helping health care professionals become more effective agents of change. In addition, Dr. Dowdy frequently works with Executives to address substance use, mental health, and stress-related issues that interfere with work and leadership performance.
Prior to joining Lindner Center of HOPE, Dr. Dowdy served as a Clinical Administrator at Summit Behavioral Healthcare in Cincinnati, Ohio, directing an inpatient group therapy program. Dr. Dowdy also served as a staff psychologist for Summit Behavioral Healthcare, providing individual and group psychotherapy, conducting psychological assessments and competency to stand trial evaluations, as well as coordinating the training program for doctoral psychology students.
Dr. Dowdy also spent several years as a Clinical Coordinator at a local community mental health center. In this capacity, Dr. Dowdy provided psychological services for children, adolescents, adults, families and couples. Also within this role, he was a forensic evaluator for Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center.
Areas of Specialty:
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy (RO DBT)
- Adult & Adolescent Psychotherapy
- Couples Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Spiritual Care & Faith Integrated Counseling
- Mood Disorders
- Severe Mental Illness
- Substance Use Disorders
- Failure to Launch & Residential Treatment Placement
- Executive Coaching
- 1995 B.S. Psychology, University of Evansville, Evansville, Indiana
- 1999 Masters Clinical Psychology, Illinois School of Professional Psychology/Chicago Campus
- 2000 Doctorate Clinical Psychology, Illinois School of Professional Psychology/Chicago Campus
Internship and Residencies:
- Wright State University's Ellis Human Development Institute in Dayton, Ohio
- Good Samaritan Hospital: Center for Youth Resources in Dayton, Ohio
- Roosevelt University Counseling Center in Chicago, Illinois
- St. Elizabeth’s Hospital: Outpatient Psychiatric Treatment Center in Chicago, Illinois
- Shared Vision: Community Based Intervention Program in Chicago, Illinois
Licensure and Certification:
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist State of Ohio