Lindner Center of HOPE’s Adult Partial Hospitalization Program, which opened in May 2012 has just announced that it has doubled capacity for patients in need of this service. Now the program can support 20 individuals at a time.
February 28, 2013 – When an adult’s daily functioning is impaired by mental illness, yet criteria is not met for hospitalization, the Adult Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) provides intensive treatment in a safe and therapeutic environment, without full hospitalization. Partial hospitalization helps patients progress to the point where standard outpatient appointments can be effective. This program is also used as a step-down program from hospitalization, with the intent of gradually easing an adult back into their home environment.
The program operates Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and enrollees attend 5 days per week for up to 4 weeks. The program offers some flexibility in design, so that the PHP treatment team and the enrollee can work together to create the right treatment plan for each individual.
This program also just opened to external referrals in mid-February.
After the launch of PHP, Lindner Center of HOPE began tracking outcomes by measuring severity of illness at admission versus severity of illness at discharge using the Clinical Global Impressions (CGI) scale. Our results have shown a 1.45 average decrease in severity from admission to discharge. An improvement of 1 point or greater is considered significant and meaningful improvement.
The Adult Partial Hospitalization Program includes:
- Group therapy
- Supportive individual therapy
- Pharmacotherapy and medication management
- A psychiatrist’s evaluation of the individual patient
- Lunch in Lindner Center of HOPE’s dining room
When should partial hospitalization be considered:
- If transitioning from an acute inpatient stay.
- If outpatient appointments are not intensive, in-depth or frequent enough to keep functioning effective.
- If there is an inability to function socially, professionally or both.
- If more intensive medication management and/or therapy is needed.
Who benefits from Adult Partial Hospitalization?
The Adult Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) at Lindner Center of HOPE benefits individuals, ages 18 and older, who are experiencing emotional or behavioral issues significant enough to affect daily functioning or quality of life. Patients may be suffering with diagnoses including, but not limited to:
- Mood disorders, such as depression and bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
- Eating disorders
- Adjustment disorders
- Thought disorders not requiring hospitalization, such as paranoia and hallucinations
How to refer:
A professional referral source may refer a patient to Lindner Center of HOPE’s Adult PHP by calling 513-536-HOPE(4673) and asking for intake. Patients must be referred by a mental health professional.
- A referral form must be completed by the professional on behalf of a patient and faxed to Lindner Center of HOPE intake at 513-536-0509. (Download referral form.)
- The PHP clinical team will review the case and intake will inform referrer of acceptance or denial.
- Intake will call to schedule admission with patient.
- Benefits will be obtained by Financial Counselor.
- Preauthorization will be completed by intake first day of program.
About Lindner Center of HOPE: A state-of-the-science, free-standing mental health center and charter member of the National Network of Depression Centers, the Center provides psychiatric hospitalization for individuals age 12-years-old and older, outpatient services for all ages, research, comprehensive assessment and residential services. The Center’s clinicians are ranked among the best providers locally, nationally and internationally.