Recreational Therapy at Lindner Center of HOPE
Recreational therapy, also known as therapeutic recreation, is a systematic process that utilizes recreation and other activity-based interventions to address the assessed needs of individuals with illnesses and/or disabling conditions, as a means to psychological and physical health, recovery and well-being. Further, “Recreational Therapy” means a treatment service designed to restore, remediate and rehabilitate a person’s level of functioning and independence in life activities, to promote health and wellness as well as reduce or eliminate the activity limitations and restrictions to participation in life situations caused by an illness or disabling condition.
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (CTRS) seek to reduce depression, stress and anxiety in their clients and help them build confidence and socialize in their community. Taking time to “play” is an important part of good mental health. CTRS’s give people the opportunity to feel good about themselves, improve relationships with others, and find a healthy life balance.
Recreational Therapy is an integral part of a patient’s treatment by
- Addressing the whole person with the focus on enhancing independent functioning within physical, social, cognitive and emotional domains
- Training individuals to identify and utilize community resources that enable independent functioning
- Focusing on skills that carry over to everyday life and can make a difference in a person’s quality of life
- Providing a diversity of interventions, add value and have significant durability across an individual’s lifespan.
Recreational Therapy Staff Offer:
- Daily Recreation Therapy groups focusing on leisure skill development, coping skills, relaxation, stress management cognition, socialization, mindfulness, meditation, exercise, creative expression, self-esteem, community leisure opportunities
- Weekly groups for Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Meet the Staff:
- Emily Musonza, M.A., CTRS
- Rebecca Williams, CTRS
- Lynelle Czarnecki, CTRS
- Janszen Lewis, CTRS
- Hayley Dues, CTRS