Susan L. McElroy, MD
Chief Research Officer and Consultant to Eating Disorders team
Lindner Center of HOPE
Dr. McElroy is internationally known for her research in bipolar disorder, eating disorders, obesity, impulse control disorders and pharmacology. She is the author of over 400 scientific papers in leading medical journals and was the 8th most cited scientist in the world published in the fields of psychiatry and psychology since 1996. She has also authored over 150 reviews and chapters in major psychiatric textbooks. Dr. McElroy is the editor or author of 4 scientific books and serves on the editorial boards of 5 journals.
As Chief Research Officer she currently oversees multiple ongoing studies in mood, anxiety, eating and impulse control disorders, genetics and psychopharmacology.
Dr. McElroy has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors including being recognized among the Best Mental Health Experts by Good Housekeeping Magazine; Best Doctors in America, a directory of the top one percent of physicians in the United States as rated by their peers; Top Doctors in Cincinnati by Cincinnati Magazine; Best Doctors in Dayton by the Dayton Business Courier; and, as one of America’s Top Psychiatrists, by the Consumer Research Council. Additionally, she was a recipient of the Phillip L. Isenberg Teaching Award for dedication and excellence in the education of residents, McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School; the Golden Apple Award for excellence in teaching of residents, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine; and a co-recipient of the Gerald L. Klerman Young Investigator Award of the National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association.
Major Research Interests:
- Phenomenology, Biology, and treatment of bipolar disorder.
- Phenomenology, epidemiology, and treatment of kleptomania, intermittent explosive disorder, pathological gambling, and other impulse control disorders.
- Phenomenology and treatment of body dysmorphic disorder.
- Phenomenology, epidemiology, and treatment of eating disorders.
- Phenomenology, family history, and treatment of obesity.
- Relationship among eating disorders, major mood disorders, and obesity.
Areas of Specialty
- Eating Disorders (Bulimia Nervosa, binge eating disorders, obesity)
- Bipolar Disorder
- PubMed - Search for McElroy SL
- 1979 B.A. Colgate University, Hamilton, New York
- 1983 M.D. Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York
Internship and Residencies:
- 1983-1984 Internship in Internal Medicine, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York
- 1984-1987 Resident in Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts
- 1980 Co-Investigator, Neuropeptides in Secondary Sensory Pathways, Cornell University Medical College
- 1986-1987 Ethel Dupont-Warren Fellowship, Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts
- 1985-1987 Research Fellow in Psychiatry, Laboratories for Psychiatric Research, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts
Licensure and Certification:
- 1985-1992 Massachusetts License Registration
- 1989 Diplomat of American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology #61463
- 1990 Ohio License Registration