Residential Treatment Centers for Adults in Ohio
If you or a loved one is suffering from a mental health illness or addiction, contact Lindner Center of HOPE for information about our residential programs. If you are in a dangerous situation, facing an emergency or need help immediately, call 911.
If you are a doctor looking to refer a patient, call 513-536-0537 or download one of our residential referral forms here.
Many adults experience mental health issues and addictive disorders. Mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults help individuals struggling with mental illness reach recovery by providing 24-hour care and support alongside therapeutic services in licensed residential treatment facilities. They create a safe environment where patients can focus fully on achieving their health and wellness goals, including long-term recovery.
This page includes information about how to find mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults in Ohio, tips for evaluating residential treatment facilities for adults, the types of mental health and addiction treatment centers for adults in Ohio and frequently-asked questions.
What We Provide
At Lindner Center of HOPE, adults struggling with mental health issues and addictions can find hope and help in a safe and supportive residential facility. Our residential mental health and addiction programs provide comprehensive diagnostic and treatment options that are designed to meet patients where they are and guide them to an improved quality of life.
Expert clinicians draw upon years of experience to treat patients with depression and bipolar disorders, eating disorders, addictive and co-occurring psychiatric disorders, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder, schizophrenia and related conditions and psychotic disorders.
How to Find Residential Treatment Centers for Adults in Ohio
Finding the right mental health and addiction residential treatment facility for adults is crucial to helping you or your loved one achieve recovery. There are several licensed residential treatment centers for adults in Ohio that can offer help through mental health and addiction programs, including Lindner Center of HOPE.
- Talk with your doctor or healthcare professional about the best residential treatment centers for adults and options for you or your loved one. They will be able to help refer you to a licensed residential treatment facility for adults that closely matches your needs.
- The Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services can help you locate licensed mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults.
- Research treatment facilities that specialize in treating patients with your specific needs. Many residential treatment facilities for adults have more success in treating some addictions and illnesses than others. Speak with a facility representative and ask about their success rates, program options and specialties.
- Speak with someone you know who has been through treatment for mental health illness or drug or alcohol addiction. They may be able to help navigate your choices and offer advice.
Tips for Evaluating Residential Treatment Centers for Adults in Ohio
Choosing the right mental health and addiction residential treatment facility for adults can be a stressful experience. Residential treatment centers for adults can range widely in their approach to treatment, success rates, amenities, cost and length of stay. When evaluating residential programs there are many things that are important to consider:
- Make sure the facility has been evaluated and licensed by a state or national accrediting body. States differ in how they license facilities. In Ohio, facility licenses are renewed every two years by the Ohio Department of Mental Health & Addiction Services.
- Make sure the facility offers programs that treat your illness or illnesses. Your doctor or healthcare professional can help recommend and refer you to facilities that will best fit your needs.
- Look for facilities that specialize in treating your illness and have a proven high success rate. Success rates for illness treatment vary by facility.
- Speak with an admission representative or financial counselor to get specific information regarding payment and insurance. Many facilities accept insurance and may offer financial aid or payment plan options.
- Find a residential facility that makes you feel comfortable. Some residential mental health and addiction programs are located in small facilities with just a few residents. Other programs are located in facilities that operate more like campuses with cafeterias, workout rooms, service and worship spaces that accommodate many residents.
Types of Residential Treatment Centers for Adults in Ohio
Mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults in Ohio are licensed by the Ohio Department of Mental Health & Addiction Services. Whether public or private, Ohio mental health and/or addiction residential treatment facilities for adults are reviewed and licensed every two years and categorized into three different types:
- Type 1 offers room and board, personal care services, and certified mental health and/or addiction treatment services to adults, children, or adolescents.
- Type 2 offers room and board, personal care, and certified mental health and/or addiction services to a maximum of two adults, children, or adolescents.
- Type 3 offers room and board and certified mental health and/or addiction treatment services to five or more adults.
There are several licensed facilities in Ohio that offer adult residential mental health treatment programs, adult residential addiction treatment programs, or both. These inpatient treatment programs vary in length of stay, from short-term (90 days or less) to long-term (one to two years).
When is a stay in a residential treatment facility for adults recommended?
Many adults experience mental illness and/or addictive disorders at some point or throughout their life. Some require hospitalization or residential treatment while others do not. There are various causes and factors that contribute to mental illness and addictive disorders, including excessive stress due to an event, reaction to environmental stresses, genetic factors, biochemical imbalances or a combination of these.
Residential treatment centers for adults can offer help to individuals who
- Are exiting inpatient hospital treatment for mental health or addiction issues.
- Are experiencing their first behavioral crisis.
- Have recently been diagnosed with a mental disorder.
- Have struggled with long-standing mental illness and/or multiple diagnoses.
- Experience intermittent or escalating behavioral crises.
- Have reached an impasse with their current treatment plan.
- Are facing difficulties at work school or home caused by substance or behavioral addictions.
- Feel other levels of care have not been effective.
How do Residential Treatment Centers for Adults Work?
Mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults provide 24-hour supervision and support to patients struggling with mental health issues and addiction. Residential programs enable individuals to focus on treatments and therapies that can help them reach long-term recovery.
Upon admittance, individuals undergo a comprehensive diagnostic performed by expertly trained medical staff. Patients then participate in recommended therapeutic services, all with the goal to achieve a step-down level of care.
A residential treatment facility for adults generally offers treatment for multiple mental health and addiction illnesses, including:
- Depression and Bipolar Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Co-Occurring Psychiatric Disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Schizophrenia and related disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Trauma disorders
- Personality disorders
Expertly trained staff, social workers and addiction specialists are typically onsite to provide support, aid and intervention for individuals during their stay in residential treatment. Therapeutic services and treatments offered in residential mental health and addiction programs may include:
- Medication Assisted Treatment
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Medication Therapy
- Exposure and Response Prevention
- Holistic Therapy (acupuncture, massage, meditation)
How long is the length of stay at a mental health and addiction residential treatment facility for adults?
Length of stays in mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults vary by facility and program. Mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults are categorized into short term (90 days or less) and long term (one to two years).
Many facilities offer multiple residential programs that are based on length of stay. Lindner Center of HOPE provides two residential program options for adults. The first is a 10-day diagnostic assessment or stabilizing evaluation held at our Sibcy House or Williams House. The second is a 28-day program (which includes the 10-day diagnostic assessment or stabilizing evaluation) that provides intensive therapy treatments, exercise and individual counseling.
What are the goals of mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults?
Mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults focus on quickly resolving serious and life threatening symptoms for individuals struggling with mental health issues or addiction. The goal of residential treatment is to release a patient to a step-down level of care.
What is the difference between and inpatient treatment facility for adults and a residential treatment facility for adults?
In general, an inpatient treatment facility is in a secure area of a hospital and is marked by intensive, 24-hour observation and clinical care. Inpatient treatment is typically short term, lasting from a few days to a week. Individuals who exit inpatient care are often referred to residential treatment centers.
A residential treatment facility for adults is often outside of a hospital setting within facilities that provide comfortable, home-like settings which allow individuals the time and space to get better. Residential treatment facilities for adults have longer lengths of stay than inpatient treatment facilities, ranging anywhere from 10 days to 2 years.
How much do stays at mental health and addiction residential treatment centers for adults cost?
The cost for residential care varies by facility and by program. Some residential treatment centers for adults may offer financial aid or payment options. You can find out information about facility costs and payment options by speaking with a financial aid counselor or admissions representative.
Lindner Center of HOPE has Financial Counselors who are available during business hours Monday through Friday. Please call 513-536-0224 and a financial counselor will answer your questions regarding the Lindner Center of HOPE Financial Assistance program.
Does insurance cover a stay at a mental health and addiction residential treatment facility for adults?
Some mental health and addiction residential treatment facilities for adults accept private or public insurance, while some are self-pay. Insurance reimbursement for any treatments at residential care facilities are at the discretion of the facility and an individual’s insurance provider. Speak with an admissions representative to get specific information regarding insurance coverage and payment.
About Lindner Center of HOPE
Lindner Center of HOPE is distinguished as a center of excellence for treating a vast array of mental disorders in the Cincinnati area. The depth and breadth of services available at one location is unrivaled in the Midwest and is among the best in the country. Patients benefit from receiving highly individualized services from an onsite multidisciplinary team, which is the largest and most diverse group of clinicians in the Midwest, and who work collaboratively to understand and treat each patient.
“I will forever be indebted to the excellent care I received at Sibcy House. I learned that recovery can happen if you have the right diagnosis and are blessed with the high quality care that Sibcy House provides. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the outstanding doctors and staff who make Sibcy House the excellent center of healing that it is. I am so blessed to have been through your program. ”
—Lindner Center of HOPE former resident
“The Lindner Center of HOPE is a wonderful, extremely helpful facility. I would highly recommend to anyone with mental health needs. I feel that it has helped me very much gain the tools, knowledge and treatment to successfully deal with my illness.”
– Lindner Center of HOPE former resident
“I felt important being a patient here. The staff really let me know that they cared about me and cared about what is to become of me. Everyone was very sweet and encouraged participation. I’m glad I was transferred here over other places. It was more helpful than I had expected.”
– Lindner Center of HOPE former resident
“The staff was phenomenal during my stay. As a team, we were able to find the right combination of medications and counseling to help with both my physical symptoms and becoming more in tune with my emotions. I would strongly recommend the Center to anyone struggling with an addiction (whether it be substance abuse or an Eating Disorder), depression, anxiety or any other mental illness. My time spent here almost didn’t feel like a hospital stay, but rather an open atmosphere to voice my opinions and seek the help that I needed.”
– Lindner Center of HOPE former resident
There is HOPE. For help, call